Daylights Saving Time vs Non Daylights Saving

Julian Brooks, Writer

Daylights Saving Time is the tradition of setting time on a clock ahead with the intention of making better usefulness of daylight during the summer months. In 2020, daylight savings in the United States is on November 1st, 2020. Although it’s not a major deal, many people have a preference between  daylights saving or no daylights saving time, including our students at Oakdale High School. 

In order to answer this question, 15 participants  were asked to complete a survey that asked if A: if you preferred daylights saving time, or B: Non Daylights Saving Time, and why the participant chose their answer. From the random sample, 66.7% of the respondents actually prefer non daylights saving time, while the other 33.3% prefer daylight savings time. When the participants were asked for their reasoning, most of the participants that answered non daylight savings just preferred night over day, while some of the respondents preferred non daylight saving because “it matches their vibes” or “the aesthetic is cool”.

On the other hand, the 33.3% of respondents that preferred daylight savings time had more active lifestyles, such as sports and jogging, and being more outdoorsy in general. Some responded with, “I love to jog with the sun on my face” or “I love to just chill outside” while others responded with, “I’m afraid of the dark” or “night is more dangerous” which is a valid point.

So which side did you choose? Do you prefer the longer day hours? Or do you prefer to live the nightlife?